[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Aug 15 17:23:05 CEST 2014

On 08/15/2014 08:20 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Yes, the tricky part in FFmpeg and Libav in relation to this is that
> theres quite a bit of code that is only well understood by a single
> person even if you would combine both projects together.

Hum... Hang on here then! Does this mean that, in FFmpeg and/or Libav,
there's some parts of the code which are understood by no-one? Scary!

> So if that person posts a patch for review, theres noone who could
> do a real review

Then the person who posts the patch can leave it for review for a while
(you should define a policy so that "for a while" means something: for
example 2 or 3 weeks), and then if there's no negative review, he can
self-approve his patch.

>> Absolutely everyone should *always* be able
>> to leave comments, be it positive or negative.
>
> yes, i fully agree and this also was always so in FFmpeg. In that
> sense everyone is welcome to subscribe to ffmpeg-devel and review and
> comment patches. That of course includes Libav developers and everyone
> else. And more reviewers would also certainly help, so yeah anyone
> reading this and wanting to help review patches, you are welcome!

Well, using a mailing list to review patches is something we were doing
10 years ago. You should really consider using Gerrit (or something
equivalent, but I don't know anything that works the way Gerrit does).
The workflow will influence a lot the way contributors interact with
each other. Almost certainly in a *good* way.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)