[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Bálint Réczey balint at balintreczey.hu
Sat Aug 16 20:25:32 CEST 2014

Hi Nicolas,

> L'octidi 28 thermidor, an CCXXII, Bálint Réczey a écrit :
>> Using Gerrit and "file ownersip" are not mutually exclusive. Gerrit
>> can be configured to automatically invite the right people for review
>> based on the changed path. We recently migrated to Gerrit at the
>> Wireshark project and it helps a lot in coordinating the reviews.
>
> I am afraid this discussion on "Gerrit" or other similar tools is pointless:
> this is trying to solve a human problem with technical means: it never
> works.
I did not want to sell Gerrit over mailing-list discussion because the
work-flow is something which should be chosen by the development team
and not outsiders, but wanted to show that tools can help enforcing
some parts of the work-flow.

On the human problems vs. technical means questions I think we have
different opinions. Technical means are exceptionally great tools for
solving _some_ human problems. If the human problem is being not
satisfied with peers' behavior of not following a specific work-flow a
toll which enforces the work-flow would solve it. Making mistakes is
an other (mostly) human problem and we have lintian for example which
helps pointing them out.

> Actually, I believe all this peer-review business to be a red herring. On
> the FFmpeg side, most patches except the very simple ones are sent to the
> mailing-list for peer-review, even patches by people with commit rights
> working on their own code; they do so not because a rule states they have
> too but because this is the best thing to achieve good code. On the other
> hand, I remember having seen patches somewhat rushed through the mandatory
> review on libav-devel and applied when someone else still had remarks; I
> have not kept tabs on that though.
>
> The real issue between the mandatory peer-review on the mailing-list is,
> IMHO, control of the project orientation. Not "is this patch correct?" but
> "do we want this patch?".
>
> If you are involved in the project, it is very obvious that both branches
> have rather opposed views on the project orientation: libav has made a point
> of trimming "unnecessary" features and rejecting new ones while FFmpeg kept
> them and added some.
IMO the trimming/rejecting strategy is not something which would ever
make Libav popular among developers/users and this is how we ended in
the current situation. While Libav's communicated release strategy can
attract integrators and distributions like Debian, FFmpeg attracts
developers/users of software based on Libav/FFmpeg due to more
features.
Sticking to those core strategies the two forks will compete forever
until one of them give up - which I see unlikely to happen voluntarily
- and users will keep complaining about Libav's missing features to
distributions' maintainers where FFmpeg is not packaged.

I think the best way out of this situation would be relaxing the
review requirements on Libav's side and letting not-yet-proven of
FFmpeg features in through an experimental/staging phase. If FFmpeg
devs could collaborate with them this way the two forks could be
converged and finally merged and the combined team could maintain a
lot better media library than the current forks are separately.

Cheers,
Balint