[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Aug 21 03:35:23 CEST 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 17:11:29 +0200
Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> The most galling in this issue is that there is no clear decision behind
> this orientation. The fork's manifesto stated that everyone was equal
> amongst equals, with or without commit rights, but the people who do have
> the commit rights are few and of a common mind, they can just give the cold
> shoulder to proposed changes that do not suit their personal view of the
> project.

Err... If i counted correctly, there are currently 21 people who have
commit rights to the libav repo. If you call that "few" i would like
to know what you would consider as "many"? Also, i can asure you,
that they are not of one mind. There are many fights on how to do things
and whether a patch should go in or not. Heck, they are visible even
to someone like me, who sits at the sidelines (i'm not a developer
and have not written one line of code for libav. i dont even read
the mailinglists).

> Considering these differences in policy, I do not believe the fork can be
> merged. Speaking as someone who proposed a few of these "unnecessary"
> features, because they were fun or immediately useful, I would not like to
> work on a project that would reject them by principle.

"Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained."
-- The Tao of Programming

				Attila Kinali

--
I pity people who can't find laughter or at least some bit of amusement in
the little doings of the day. I believe I could find something ridiculous