[FFmpeg-devel] [libav-devel] Common mailing-list for API evolutions

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Fri Aug 29 07:29:44 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 01:00:45AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:28:56AM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> >
> > Kieran suggested tonight on #ffmpeg-devel to have a common mailing-list
> > between the two projects to start communicating again in sane terms.
> >
> > The proposition would be a mailing-list where the 2 projects would send
> > the patches that will make API evolutions. So the projects can continue to
> > drop or add codecs & filters without caring about the other, but will try
> > to communicate more about the API, for the sake of our common users.
> >
> > At first, I suggest that won't engage anything from any of the two
> > projects (so we don't end up in a stalled states such as one project
> > trying to block the other), but it could be seen as a way to introduce
> > some common technical ground.
>
> Your use of "engaged" makes my English parser return ENOUNDERSTAND.

"I suggest that won't force/constrain any of the two projects of anything"

[...]
> Often times API additions or changes are discussed on this mailing list.
> You FFmpeg people are all subscribed here; what stops you from replying
> on this mailing list?

It's not a neutral area. The goal is *not* to have an effective way of
designing & reviewing API, both projects already have this. It's a
proposition of an area where people from both projects (or even shared
downstream users) would be comfortable to talk to each others, and
eventually reach some agreements.

[...]

To be more specific about the why I'm suggesting this right now: Kieran
wanted such thing to be discussed "in real life" in one of those meetings.
Unfortunately, some of the main FFmpeg developers are not willing to do
this, partly because it's probably pointless, and partly because it's seen
as a threat (and various other reasons I won't expand on). Such discussion
is happening right now over a reliable medium, where everyone can
participate.

The point being that if Libav or FFmpeg folks are not able to discuss such
proposition here in sane terms, then there is no reason at all the outcome
could be more positive in real life, and so such meeting will not happen.

--
Clément B.