[FFmpeg-devel] How to make the link.exe as MSVC's link

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 16 20:32:29 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:14:59AM +0100, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Jesse Jiang <jessejiang0214 at outlook.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it is true.
> > But I think this job is not hard, we can use which command to get the cl
> > path. Like $ which cl/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 12.0/VC/BIN/cl.exe
> > Then we can replace the cl.exe with link.exe, so we can got the correct
> > link for msvc.
> > But the problem is I do not know how to operator the string in configure.
> >

> configure is fine, it doesn't need any changes. Your local setup is broken
> if it picks the wrong link.exe

I think the idea is to make it more user-friendly by making it not pick
a version it could know is broken by default.
I don't know if it's worth the effort and potential configure
complexity (maybe it should just print a warning/error instead on how
to set up the system correctly), but in principle I think that configure
should as much as possible/sensible "just work".