[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg nvenc

Philip Langdale philipl at overt.org
Wed Dec 17 10:41:44 CET 2014

On 2014-12-17 01:34, Agatha Hu wrote:
> Repost

(Reposting my direct reply)

Yes, the world has moved on, I'm afraid. This means that (1) isn't going
be an easy sell. You'd need to demonstrate that it's so much better than
Timo's
patch that it's worth deleting his and replacing it with yours. The
first thing
you need to do is remove the abstraction layer, because that's not going
to fly
upstream, and it doesn't achieve anything useful. After that's cleaned
up, I
think you can make a decent argument that it's a more maintainable
implementation, especially if you and your team are going to maintain it
- you
have a much better understanding of the hardware features than Timo,
myself, or
anyone else outside nvidia - given the sparse API documentation.

The other alternative is to take Timo's as a base, add the x264 options
layer
and then expose more features there. I don't know which will end up
being more
work for you.

I'm still sitting on the improvements I made for b-frames etc, and I'll
post those after you republish the code.

Initially, I would still suggest posting the patch as-is (with the
corrected
licensing) so you can get more feedback from other people.

--phil