[FFmpeg-devel] google summer of code 2014 wiki

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Fri Feb 7 08:06:59 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:33:06PM -0800, Timothy Gu wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2014 4:13 PM, "Michael Niedermayer" <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > trac.ffmpeg.org is down for maintaince
> > until its up again google summer of code wiki page is at:
> > http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2014
> >
> > please make all changes that you want to do there.
> > Once trac is up again (if its within time) then we could move it back
>
> Ronald/Clément,
>
> Do you guys need any help on VP9 assembly or are free to be mentors on
> that? If you do, you can add a project to the wiki page, to make FFmpeg
> have more possibility to be accepted this year.

The VP9 (x86) assembly is mostly done. What's remaining is adding a few
AVX2 functions (I should get some hardware soon, so I'll probably work on
it myself), and small functions which are not really relevant currently
(typically the _8 variants of the loop filter), and eventually some more
x86 32-bit (Ronald and I don't care much about it, but Guillaume Martres
eventually wanted to try something).

Anyway, I don't see anything worth a GSoC for VP9. There is still room for
improvement, but that won't belong in the x86 ASM.

Now of course, there is some ARM asm that could be added, but I actually
started looking at it as well, and probably won't be able to mentor on it.

If you want a GSoC for assembly, I would suggest looking at filters. There
are really a lot of candidates.

--
Clément B.