[FFmpeg-devel] How to get filter added

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Feb 16 17:41:11 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 08:19:14AM -0800, Nicholas Robbins wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:14 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On 2/16/14, Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>  Hello,
> >>
> >>  I submitted a patch for a new filter some time ago, got feedback, made
> >>  changes as directed, and resubmitted, but then nothing for some time. Is
> >>  there some other step I should do to get this patch applied?
> >>
> >>  https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/154484.html
> >
> > Do not create new thread, reply to thread where patch was sent each 6
> > seconds with message containing only ping.
>
> I assume this is sarcasm. If you are suggesting I have been spamming the list with this, I sent 8 messages to the list this month, all of which were responses to specific suggestions for changes. After I made all those changes, the responses stopped, so I resent the patch once. No response, and then I sent this email.

He was fairly serious.
Once nobody comments on a thread anymore, it "disappears" from everyone's
mailboxes.
Resending unchanged patches isn't usually a good idea (especially if you don't set
the "in-reply-to"), since people might then miss the earlier
discussion.
That is why the preferred method is to write a one-line "ping" mail as
reply to the last most relevant message in the thread (usually that
means the latest patch you sent).

> I just want to know if there is something I should do, or if there is a reason this patch isn't going to be accepted.

The reason so far almost certainly is that nobody feeling responsible
for filters had time (or alternatively forgot) to do the final review and apply pass.