[FFmpeg-devel] modification time in libavformat (.MOV files)

Ayke van Laethem aykevanlaethem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 00:45:51 CET 2014

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:39:18PM -0800, Alex Sukhanov wrote:

>> > http://superuser.com/questions/510578/when-spliting-mp4s-with-ffmpeg-how-do-i-include-metadata

>> > storing the current time in files without the users knowledge poses
>> > a risk to privacy and security.
>> >

>> > [...]
>> > --
>> > Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB
>> >
>> > it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
>> > their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle

>> Sorry for dumb question, but what is a risk to privacy and security?
>
> time and location allow indentfying a person in some/many cases
> so storing time without the person knowing gives half the information
> needed to identify the person. Now the location can possibly be
> identified from the video content.
>
> security wise, storing the time in files leaks information about
> the system clock. which could be helpfull to any attack that needs
> to be timed pricessely or could be feedback for an attack involving
> NTP. Iam no expert in this stuff iam sure there are others who could
> provide better examples

Okay, that makes sense. But I think in most cases, it is expected
ffmpeg will save the modification according to the specification (I
would expect that, at least).

What about making it a command line option whether to save
modification times as metadata?
Are there any other containers that save modification time, besides
the MOV/MP4 family? I tried to grep 'time', but I only found something
that seemed to be related to MPEG transport streams.

— Ayke