[FFmpeg-devel] BUG in use of extradata and extradata_size with dvb subtitles and teletext

Andriy Lysnevych andriy.lysnevych at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:59:43 CET 2014

Hi,

We decided to fix DVB subtitles without touching extradata. Please review
it. The patch does:

1) Improved DVB subtitles encoder to generate AVPacket.data in the same
format as generates MPEGTS demuxer + DVB subtitles parser. So now single
format of DVB subtitles data is used across all the components of FFmpeg:
only subtitles payload WITHOUT 0x20 0x00 bytes at the beginning and 0xFF
trailing byte.

2) Improved MPEGTS muxer to support format of DVB subtitles in
AVPacket.data described above: while muxing we add two bytes 0x20 0x00 to
the beginning of and 0xFF to the end of DVB subtitles payload.

Because of changes described above automatically were fixed few FFmpeg
issues:

3) Because now MPEGTS muxer and demuxer work with the same format of DVB
subtitles, problem described in ticket #2989 were fixed: copy of DVB
subtitles from MPEGTS to MPEGTS stream.

4) Fixed similar DVB subtitles copy operations: Matroska -> MPEGTS, WTV ->
MPEGTS and most likely NUT -> MPEGTS.

5) Fixed muxing of DVB subtitles generated by DVB subtitles encoder into
Matroska (and probably NUT) containers. Muxing was incorrect because
Matroska requires only DVB subtitles payload but DVB subtitles encoder
generated extra 0x00 byte at the beginning and extra 0xFF byte at the end
of the payload.

Our next patch will fix of DVB teletext copy from MPEGTS to MPEGTS. This
patch will touch extradata.

P.S.
We are still waiting for a correct sample with DVB subtitles in NUT
container to ensure in correctness of our patch towards NUT as well.

Regards,
Andriy Lysnevych