[FFmpeg-devel] udp.c comments/thoughts

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:12:56 CET 2014

2014/1/15 Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com>:
> I believe the default is to "die" on buffer overrun, which is
> different than the behavior is PTHREAD_CANCEL is not available, so
> currently if you specify nothing, it "might" or "might not" work...my
> guess is that the old behavior was to not die as well, since the
> kernel dropped the packets, or am I wrong there?

Well, UDP recv thread appeared first, with "dying" behaviour. Later
i've added an option to not die, but disabled by default to leave
previous behaviour.
Current default behaviour makes sense because stream data loss
resilience with resync is a feature of MPEG TS, and i don't know which
containers provide same feature. So generally it is safe to assume
detected UDP data loss fatal. And we provide an option (for MPEG TS
demux sessions for example) to survive data loss.

--
Andrey Utkin