[FFmpeg-devel] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: ancient avi compatibility? (was: vintage avi type 1...)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jan 25 18:39:50 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 04:09:26PM +0000, u-owvm at aetey.se wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 03:42:14PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > What I am looking for is the pre-1996 avi format without extensions.
> > >
> > > (I was referring to "AVI 2.0" which Wikipedia says the format is called
> > > with the extensions, so I assumed that the former format would be called
> > > "AVI 1.x")
> >
> > what is the difference or rather which things that we write / dont
> > write cause a problem ?
>
> I do not know exactly, it is a matter of observation: a program which
> is happily playing samples from http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/CVID/
> becomes unhappy with corresponding avi files produced by ffmpeg by
> "-c:v copy" avi to avi (or generated by ffmpeg).
>
> It is a DOS program from 1998 which seems to go looping when given a
> "modern" avi file.
> (http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/dnreal.htm)
>
> I wonder if ffmpeg can produce avi files without OpenDML extensions
> which is probably what is making the difference for the old program.
>
> > and where is the spec for the old format ?
>
> According to http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=AVI
> there is
>  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms779636%28VS.85%29.aspx
> and
>  http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/documentation/avi.pdf
> the latter looking more useful.
>
> > also, i have a bad feeling about using wikipedia as reference here
>
> At that moment I did not new any better.
>
> > and opendml AVI had its first release 1995 not 1996 according to the
> > opendml spec if thats what you refer to by AVI 2.0
>
> The pdf mentioned above states that the OpenDML extensions are dated
> 28/02/1996 as version 1.02. The version before this is called there
> "1.0".
>
> This is otherwise a non-issue, the old video players are far from being
> critical. The "pro" 32-bit version of the same program released 2007
> can play ffmpeg's avi files just fine.
>

> On the other side, why not let an owner of a 286 play videos on it? :)

sure, if someone wants to add and maintain support for it ...

to come back to the original question, as i dont know which part
causes problems for the old player, i cannot comment on if old ffmpeg
versions supported something else

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato