[FFmpeg-devel] (sponsored) feature request

Edit B bouke at editb.nl
Thu Jul 3 15:41:52 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kieran Kunhya" <kierank at obe.tv>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] (sponsored) feature request

>> Cause they are (or can be) genlocked. (Input is from Pro stuff over SDI)
>
> It's a little bit dangerous to assume the encoder is locked to the SDI
> clock as opposed to its internal system clock.

Agreed, it probably isn't, but, the recordings start with a 5 second offset
in worst case.
That would be not a probem i would think, the clocks won't mismatch that
much.

>>> and where are the timecodes located in such a stream?
>>
>> There aren't, or they are meaningless. That's why I need to set them
>> myself,
>> so each stream has a TC representing the time of the day + optional
>> offset.
>
> FWIW there is a capability in h264 to carry timecode.

Well, i'm aiming at better codecs (MpegII, ProRes), and both can carry TC.
Trick is to give them the correct tc :-)

> Timecode is the easiest because you can set your encoders to start
> with plenty of time left and then start when needed.

This i don't get, could you please elaborate a bit?
thx,
Bouke