[FFmpeg-devel] new webpage design patches

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 14:21:49 CEST 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 18:16:42 -0800
Lou Logan <lou at lrcd.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014, at 12:10 AM, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> >  - should we restore the hall of shame page, or maybe simply add a
> >    "Violations" linking to a specific query in our trac?
>
> I prefer a link to the trac violations. Or no link at all for less
> clutter. At least one or two responsible authors who gave a shit, or
> who made honest mistakes, have found their ticket in trac and cleared
> things up, IIRC.

i vote for no shame page unless someone volunteers to keep it updated
and deal with authors who come in for help. the last shame page
in my opinion turned into a disaster when some developers would not
negotiate with authors to try to bring them into compliance.

when we had the author on the trac, willing to make changes, an ffmpeg
developer would say "no, you aren't allowed to distribute ffmpeg at all
right now". so the shame author would get tired of that and walk away.
fixing nothing.

> No dedicated shame page is needed. It's a maintenance burden. It is
> ignored by general users. Its effectiveness is debatable. It makes the
> project look whiney.

fully agree. although it brought attention to some problems, i think
it also made us the 'bad guys' to a lot of users of those shamed
softwares.

libav's shame page is still up, and is completely broken due to libav's
bug tracker move and lack of any developers working on it.
http://libav.org/shame.html

-compn