[FFmpeg-devel] aalib video filter patch review request

iamtakingiteasy at eientei.org iamtakingiteasy at eientei.org
Mon Jun 23 18:57:42 CEST 2014

Hello, i have written (basing on drawtext) a simple video filter, which
utilizes aalib to render input frames as ascii-art and rastarizes this
ascii-art to output frames using freetype2 library. Also fontconfig can
be used for font discovery.

Attaching a patch implementing this filter.

Here is example video:

before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44oBi1ikNZk

and after applying this filter:

ffmpeg -i disharmony_plain.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -crf 18
-pix_fmt yuv420p -vf 'scale=iw/3:ih/4,
aa=fontname=terminus:fontsize=12:linespacing=1.0:contrast=50,
pad=width=1920:x=(ow-iw)/2' -aspect 16:9 -acodec aac -strict -2 -f mp4
disharmony_aa_filter.mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQytXqovLOM

I hope for suggestions how to adopt this code in order to upstream it.

This is one of my first steps on FOSS world and the first one towards
ffmpeg suite, so it most likely will be needing a strong scepsis during
review, because approaches i took most likely wasn't perfect ones to say
the least.

Thanks.