[FFmpeg-devel] GIF animation encoder regression

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:26:35 CET 2014

I had a need for encoding GIFs today; and updated my patch that adds a
couple of new positionally stable dithering methods. (
http://pippin.gimp.org/a_dither/ ) There is a new patch - that
applies; and FATE passes.

But there is a problem. Now a_dither, x_dither as well as the existing
positional dither generate files roughly of the same size as error
diffusion. The reason seems to be that the GIF encoder no longer marks
pixels not changing between frames as transparent - effectively
treating every single frame in the GIF animation as an I-frame.

/pippin