[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion: Feature: Subtitle charenc detection

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Oct 23 17:20:43 CEST 2014

Le duodi 2 brumaire, an CCXXIII, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> I dont understand either side or the proposed API nearly well enough
> to really argue about this but iam concerned that this fight could
> lead to a deadlock again and noone implementing any API, which would
> be a loss to all.

For that matter, I intend to just ignore nonsensical comments from now on.

> Do i understad correctly that the dispute here is about the following
> scenario?
> There is some input over a slow channel with interleaved subtitles
> There are subtitles in the first 10min but they use almost only
> characters which have a identical encoding in multiple char-encodings
> thus making distingushing the encoding&charset impossible.
> at 11 minutes into the movie theres a subtitle with text that allows
> identifying the encoding & charset
> We need to demux, decode and display the subtitles before we have
> enough information to finally know the exact encoding/charset and
> once known update/set it.
> ?

If this is the issue, then I rest my case: the other party has just
completely missed the point.

The situation you describe is irrelevant for the discussion at hand because
"interleaved subtitles" are muxed in a high-level format that specifies the
character encoding.

The current discussion is for cases where the encoding is not specified,
which happens for subtitles in plain text files. In that case, the files are
read all at once.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George