[FFmpeg-devel] Areas needing work

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Apr 6 19:41:59 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 04:48:24PM +0000, Timothy Gu wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
[...]
> > * our fate server lacks the ability to display a user specified release
> >   this makes the output look quite unwieldy
> >   Timothy was working on a rewrite
> >

> I haven't touched that thing in a few months but it's in a pretty good
> shape. With a few minor updates it should be good to go at least on
> fate-beta.ffmpeg.org or something like that. There are still a few minor
> things I want to fix (like minirep/minilog, warning diff (is it really
> useful now since most boxes are using make -jx and testing order changes
> every time?), and some minor styling issue).

ok,
do you have your own server where i should make
fate-beta.ffmpeg.org point to or its something that needs to be setup
on the fate / or some other server ?

> [...]
>
> > * Decentralize
> >   Too many things are done and admined by me, iam doing security updates
> > to the
> >   servers, doing the git merges, maintaining all releases, maintaining
> > half the
> >   fate clients, submitting data to coverity and doing all the crap that
> > noone
> >   else wants to do.
> >   Does the community care so little that they want me to be a single point
> > of
> >   failure?
> >   We need people to take some of this over at least on the basis of a
> > backup
> >   in case iam unavailable for whatever reason, and i think it should
> > ideally
> >   be people who do not yet have their daily work shedule overflowing with
> > ffmpeg
> >   work but better new volunteers.
> >

> - Project servers: MAINTAINERS list four people [1], one of which I have
> never
>   ever seen on this list,

There are mails from arpi on the list but he possibly didnt write his
full name in the mails

> and it is not clear to me how the servers are
>   administered (who pays for it? who has access to it? who has access to the

main servers are provided by arpi
fate server by baptiste
coverage by ubitux

>   hosting company's setting page?) [2]

my knowledge of the hosting details is limited

> - Git merges: when I first came to this project merges are still called
> "Merge
>   from remote tracking branch 'qatar/master'." WTF is qatar? Now of course
>   that is not a problem any more, but the merges remain undocumented on any
>   official documentation I could find (maybe I didn't look hard enough?). If
>   the behavior itself is not known publicly how can anyone help?

They are probably undocumented on the FFmpeg side but iam not sure
what to document beyond what is in the git manual page

> - Coverity: one can easily hook it up to a FATE box.

maybe, but there are some special considerations
* as many as possible features, external libs, ... have to be enabled
  as coverity only tests what is actually build
* the authorizaton token needed to upload must never end in any
  vissible fate results
* actally running fate isnt needed

so a simple cronjob seems better suited /easier than fate
but if you want to take coverity build/uploads over i can provide
you with the details needed to upload and what is currently enabled
(i dont want to loose testing for (m)any components)

> [1]: https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/MAINTAINERS#L48
> [2]: Yes I guess I can ask on IRC or whatever but I am lazy, and I know that
>      there are people lazier than me. If it is so hard to find out how to
>      *volunteer* I would not imagine many people trying to volunteer.
>
> But anyway, I can volunteer to take over coverage.ffmpeg.org. But again who
> should I find to discuss this thing in detail? Michael? Clément? I don't
> know.

coverage is 100% Cléments area, i dont know if he wants/needs any
volunteers for it

> Also a news article on a call for maintainers would be beneficial (?).

yes but the last one was not too effective, so maybe someone else
should write that

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle