[FFmpeg-devel] youtube patches

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Tue Apr 21 05:14:14 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:15:51PM +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Enough talking, here are some patches, and I will let the
> maintainers decide.
>
> On the libquvi side, the first patch cleans up the error handling in
> the libquvi_read_header function to avoid calling libquvi cleanup
> functions on uninitialized variables. The second patch adds a call
> to avformat_find_stream_info for the inner format context so as to
> be able to fill the start_time, duration and bit_rate of the outer
> format context.
>
> On the youtube-dl side, a patch adds support for a youtube-dl based
> demuxer, which is functionally equivalent to libquvi, except that it
> supports all the sites supported by youtube-dl. I avoided using
> popen on purpose, so as to try and be as much cross-platform as
> possible, though the av_tempfile function returns a file descriptor,
> so, probably requires UNIX or POSIX anyway.
>
> In my opinion, it does not make sense to maintain both solutions.
>
> Regards.

Alright, so first, I'd like to say I'm sorry to be somehow the cause of
the drama, being the original author of the libquvi demuxer...

At some point, I even stopped using it: it was originally written for the
0.4 (stable) serie, but then my distro upgraded it to 0.9 (unstable),
dropping the 0.4 version. I don't remember if the API changed much, but
one major change was about the license: it changed from LGPL to AGPL. I
wasn't exactly so sure about what legal implication that had for our build
so I just ignored the issue for a long time. And when I decided to long
back at it, libquvi wasn't maintained anymore.

So anyway, it would probably make sense to just drop libquvi support IMO.
I don't consider myself a maintainer of this demuxer anymore, so feel free
to send it back to hell.

Now indeed there might be no alternative to this currently, as far as I
understood from the youtube-dl discussions. If someone is working on an
(real) API on youtube-dl side, something similar to libquvi might be nice.
Oh an while I'm at it, a fast and good probe function on that API would be
very welcome (just a matching of the URL, no request made or such).

And finally, I'm still very much opposed to maintain our C version of
these websites on FFmpeg side, as well as exec, system & friends calls to
youtube-dl. If someone wants to do some heresy like that, he's free to do
it outside the project (even if it's hidden in the official youtube-dl
API).

Anyway, sorry about digging up this dead flame, but I'm now back in the
game :)

--
Clément B.