[FFmpeg-devel] Gathering opinions from FFmpeg developers about a reunification with Libav developers

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 03:44:01 CEST 2015

On 01/08/15 1:03 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 07:05:21AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>>
>>> - One of the main collateral damage for the FFmpeg codebase is the
>>>   duplicated features (prores, avr/swr, and more), and I'm willing to make
>>>   this a priority on my TODO list for the sake of the new project, but I
>>>   would like to see more people standing here, especially when they are
>>>   concerned by these areas.
>>

>> I've worked on both, so I can find some time and merge each, when a
>> reunification happens based on our codebase. The outcome will be one prores
>> enc/dec and one resampling library, which is a superset (in terms of
>> features and performance) of the individual components. The alternates will
>> exist under an ifdef for a while, while they undergo the deprecation
>> process as is usual. Eventually they disappear.
>
> If people want, i can help with merging duplicated features
> i did the j2k/jpeg2000 decoder merge which IIRC also found its way
> into Libav

I doubt anyone would reject your help, really. Your work with bug fixing has been
outstanding, and I'm sure you enjoy working on things like j2k, swr, h264, hevc
and such much more than doing daily merges.

> But i am also happy to stay out of this if people think that would be
> better

I want to believe that wouldn't be necessary. One would hope stepping down from
the leader position should be enough to start talks about a project reunification,
but in any case the following weeks will tell.