[FFmpeg-devel] support for reading / writing encrypted MP4 files

Jan Ekstrom jeebjp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:17:22 CET 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM, compn <tempn at mi.rr.com> wrote:
> dumb question....
>
> are these encrypted mp4 files some kind of standard encryption?
>
> rephrased... will encrypted files created by ffmpeg be able to be
> decrypted/decoded and played by quicktime? or any other player?
> (assuming other player has the keys of course).

If the patches follow the specification noted @
https://w3c.github.io/encrypted-media/cenc-format.html (standardized @
ISO as 23001-7 |
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_ics/catalogue_detail_ics.htm?csnumber=65271
as far as I can tell), then yes - the encryption itself is standard.
Usually this sort of encryption is coupled with MPEG-DASH where you
stick the related information on how to get the keys into
ContentProtection blocks in the manifests.

Jan