[FFmpeg-devel] Color quantization for GIF v2

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Tue Feb 10 12:53:10 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 06:35:08PM +0100, Clément Bœsch wrote:
[...]
>   • we might still want to consider a per frame palette approach

To elaborate on this point, what I meant was to define a per frame palette
only for the part that change. I originally dismissed that idea for 2
reasons:
  • it creates a palette overhead
  • after a (maybe not reliable) test, the resulting gif was "blinking" a
    lot, probably because of overall light changes in the palette

For the first issue, we can consider it negligible (~150kbits). For the
second issue, I need to re-do that test.

The potentially interesting points about that approach are:
  • single pass
  • higher color definition, especially if only a small part of the input
    is moving

Even if the blinking effect is present, it can still works well for mostly
still input.

I'm still uncertain about where it's going to end, but I will probably
have it in a third filter.

--
Clément B.