[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpegs future and resigning as leader

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jul 31 18:05:29 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 05:37:12PM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 03:53:04PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Ive been in FFmepg since 14 years and been the leader since 11 years
> > and i feel that iam not the best person for the leader position.
> > I had hoped for a long time that the fork situation would resolve and
> > both sides somehow merging back into one team. All the Libav developers
> > joining FFmpeg again. But even now as the last distributions are
> > preparing to remove Libav, still theres no hint of that happening.
> > Maybe even the opposite.
> >
> > The community is split and its very difficult to be the leader when
> > one is on one side of this split and the other tries everything to
> > push me out
> >
> > I hope my resignation will make it easier for the teams to find back
> > together and avoid a more complete split which would otherwise be
> > the result sooner or later as the trees diverge and merging all
> > improvments becomes too difficult for me to do.
> >
> > also before my resignation, i offer all maintainers who dont yet have,
> > direct write access as i likely will not comb through the ML anymore
> > or not as frequently to apply patches, please send me your public SSH
> > key if you are de facto maintaining or working on some part of FFmpeg
> > or are listed in MAINTAINERs.
> >

> > If people want to continue merges from libav, someone else will have
> > to do these. Indeed i fully admit the work and pressure caused by
> > the merges is a main reason for my resignation.
> >
> > FFmpeg belongs to the FFmpeg developers and the FFmpeg community!
> >

> If some FFmpeg developers are still willing to do that (that is, maybe
> partially on their respective maintainership areas), may we ask you to
> document more your process? If that is possible, maybe not limited to
> these merges.

ill try to document things

> You have been doing an outstanding work for years, and this includes
> notably:
>
> - development
> - reviews
> - patch merges
> - merge of libav

> - releases

heres my release checklist (slightly cleaned up, not sure how usefull
it is or if this is too terse thats just pretty much what i used as
notes for it)

someone could put that in doc/ if wanted, having it in git might
simplify work on it

fix copyright years

rename version <next> in changeolog to X.Y
add -dev tag on commit after release branched
add seperator for release position in APIChanges

previous name suggestions:
cmopn: einstein ?
<microchip_> michaelni: Von Neumann
<microchip_> lorentz, poincaré, desitter, de broglie, etc - http://phys.kent.edu/~manley/physicists.html
michaelni: Gauss, Galois, Viterbi, Darwin, Feynman (check spelling)

RELEASE, VERSION, Doxygen files should contain the correct version
make sure qatar is pulled
run fate
run abi-test

delete Changelog, if its outdated
make sure you didnt include binaries

test make install

test on arm, mingw, mips, linux32

gpg sign
make sure permissions are ok also gpg permissions
upload
update IRC topics of all 3 channels if needed
update download page
check we dont have unmaintained release branches
git tags
push tags to repo, dont forget github
update doxygen links in src/documentation for website
update versions on trac

tar --exclude-vcs -cvjf ffmpeg-0.7.8.tar.bz2 ffmpeg-0.7.
./configure --cc='ccache gcc' --samples=/home/michael/fatesamples/fate/fate-suite/ && make -j12 check && make -j12
test ffplay by hand

update security page, get CVEs

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact