[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC][WIP] Conversion of FFV1 specification to Markdown

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Tue Jun 2 18:36:56 CEST 2015

Hi all,

As there is ongoing work on the FFV1 specification in support of a standardization process via the IETF, Ashley Blewer and I (as part of the PreForma project [1]) have drafted a translation of the current FFV1 specification which is formatted in lyx [2] to markdown. Such a transition was discussed on the listserv before [3] (and recently offlist with Michael Niedermayer) in order in order to make contributions and participation with the development of the specification more accessible.

The conversion to markdown is not yet complete but we would appreciate feedback, advice, or contributions to the translation. I propose that the intent of the conversion focus on changing from a lyx basis to a markdown one (with exact semantic meaning) and that discussion on semantic changes to the specification be in a separate or following discussion. We've found that the challenges of converting from lyx to markdown include management of internal-linking, handling header-less tables, and the inclusion of math, but have draft solutions to these issues in place in the current markdown draft.

Since a patch would simply be the replacement of nearly every line from the lyx to markdown conversion, I'm attaching the markdown itself for review. This file comes from from a branch of MediaArea's fork of the FFV1 specification, which can be found here: https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/tree/markdown <https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/tree/markdown>. HTML [4] and PDF renderings of the markdown may be reviewed here: https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/tree/markdown/derivatives <https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/tree/markdown/derivatives>. Please note that while the HTML [4] presents the math properly in Safari and Firefox, in present form the HTML version is not presenting correctly in Chrome (lack of MathML support). The conversion process from markdown to html and pdf is specified here: https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/blob/markdown/derivatives/create_derivatives.sh <https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/blob/markdown/derivatives/create_derivatives.sh>.

Best Regards,
Dave Rice

[1] http://preforma-project.eu/ <http://preforma-project.eu/>
[2] https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1/blob/master/ffv1.lyx <https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1/blob/master/ffv1.lyx>
[3] https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2012-October/133125.html <https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2012-October/133125.html>
[4] https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/blob/markdown/derivatives/ffv1.html <https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/MediaArea/FFV1/blob/markdown/derivatives/ffv1.html>