[FFmpeg-devel] Contributing to the project?

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Sat Jun 13 21:17:45 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 04:26:49PM +0100, George Boyle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering what is the best way to begin getting involved in
> contributing to ffmpeg/libav*? I've been a big fan of the project for
> years. I've been an observer on the mailing list, and have closely read
> the guidelines on the website, so I have a fair idea of how the
> development/review process works.
>
> I am a software developer with 5 years experience, mostly in Java
> (specifically web services, REST APIs among other things), but I do have
> a reasonable knowledge of C as well. I have an interest in audio/video
> codecs and formats, but little expertise and no experience in that area.
> However, I am eager to work hard and learn quickly, with minimal
> disruption, on any task that might be suitable.
>

> I don't want to be a burden on people's time, as I know everyone is busy
> and that you already engage in training and mentoring programs, but if
> there were some low priority tasks or tests to be written that would
> help me get my feet wet, I'd be very grateful to be pointed in that
> direction.

Ah, if you're interested in testing... http://coverage.ffmpeg.org/ will
give you an idea about how much or test suite covers the code base. You
can see that it's not bad but there are many part of the code where adding
test would be welcome.

To learn more about the test suite: https://ffmpeg.org/fate.html

>            Alternatively, if there are other channels I should engage
> with first, or upskilling I should do prior to contributing (e.g. a
> particular area of the code to study), advice to that effect would be
> very much appreciated too.

Not sure if already mentioned, but it's generally a good practice to just
ask quickly on #ffmpeg-devel (IRC/freenode) if it's a good idea to work on
X or Y. You can be redirected to the appropriate people or previous work
already done in the shadow (and the reason it failed previously etc). It's
convenient to get quick exchanges and get to know the community. But maybe
you're already there?

--
Clément B.