[FFmpeg-devel] New asf demuxer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Jun 29 18:39:40 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 01:42:00PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 28/06/15 1:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>
> >> What makes you say that? Where did you give your "very quick look" exactly?

> >> I do disagree, on several counts. First, the old muxer was based on
> >> reverse-engineering, the new one is based on the spec;
> >
> > this may be true for the original demuxer 15 years ago, (iam not
> > its author so iam not the right one to ask about it)
> >
> > but work was done on it since then
> > not sure when the specs where first released, there are btw multiple
> > versions of the specs
>
> I assume this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14995
> published three years ago.
>

> Does the new demuxer introduce serious regressions? Does it make any file play worse?

when trying it on 2 random files i had locally yesterday it segfaulted
on the first and i couldnt seek in the 2nd with it
also as already mentioned it requires odd (that is likely wrong)
reference checksums for fate to pass and andreas reported
segfaults too.

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch