[FFmpeg-devel] DCA Decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 12 14:21:14 CET 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 08:10:17AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:47:55 +0000
> Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > answer to that is a *single* decoder, which works the best -
>
> just say it with less words. you dont want dual decoders like prores.

i strongly want to avoid dual decoders and this is part of why i
ever replied to this thread

The situation ATM is that the dts/dca decoder in FFmpeg has
features that are missing in Libav.

If niels patch is rebased onto FFmpeg and
Marcus works on top of FFmpeg either before or after niels patch then
theres just one decoder that has all features and bugfixes

But if Marcus rebases his work on top of Niels work before this is
rebased onto FFmpeg then his work and Niels work will be on Libav
and the FFmpeg decoder will have features missing in Libav so we
will then have 2 decoders like in prores or someone will have to
merge them which will require at least testcases to test the
features, and thats why i asked for testcases

I want to avoid 2 decoders but whenever i mention "use FFmpeg" i get
accused of being "anti Libav" or "butthurt" or various other things

If people cooperate and produce 1 DCA/DTS decoder with all features
then we will have 1, otherwise there might be 2

I hope my mail is not misunderstood again

The real ebay dictionary, page 2
"100% positive feedback" - "All either got their money back or didnt complain"
"Best seller ever, very honest" - "Seller refunded buyer after failed scam"