[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

madshi madshi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 08:49:28 CET 2015

> Because you don't trust the option? Thats just silly.

Just checked, the option was added in 2011. I used the decoder before that,
so patching was my only option at the time (imagine that!!). In any case, I
knew that I would never ever want to have range compression on, so why not
patching it away, just to be extra safe. In reality I probably just never
bothered to change my code to use the option. I just left the patch in
there instead.

Doesn't really matter. What does matter is a reasonable default choice. And
it's currently wrong, IMHO. Screw the AC3 spec which wants it to be on by
default. That's just stupid. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Best regards, madshi.