[FFmpeg-devel] [SURVEY] Summary of first 2015 survey

Zhang Rui bbcallen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 04:33:48 CET 2015

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:19:05 +0100
> Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> So the October/November 2015 FFmpeg survey ended, so as promised here
>> is a summary. It was planed for yesterday but due to some unfortunate
>> national issues it was kind of postponed to today...
>
> great work. thanks everyone who took the time to fill out the survey.
>
>> Misc comments
>> -------------
>>  - more developed ffplay (hwaccel, doc), mpts (?) options
>
> are we going to focus on ffplay to reinvent the media player wheel when
> there is vlc and mplayer? i'm not against it, just asking. i know
> ffplay is used somewhat on android, is that the biggest market for
> ffplay?

IMO, I'm not expecting ffplay to do everything as VLC, mpv does.
I think ffplay is the best and latest minimum example for media playback.

The most important thing is that it's a place where
FFmpeg developers show how to use FFmpeg in right way,
how to replace old API with new API, how to implement things
that should not be put into avformat/avcodec/avfilter.

For hwaccel, actually, I think there is more need to know
how to implement hwaccel in ffplay -- that is to say, using
public API of FFmpeg -- more than playback media
with ffplay's hwaccel feature. VLC and KODI both rewrite
new bit stream filter/convert for Android HW decoder.