[FFmpeg-devel] Gathering opinions from FFmpeg developers about a reunification with Libav developers

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Sun Sep 6 17:14:30 CEST 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
> Le quartidi 14 thermidor, an CCXXIII, Clement Boesch a écrit :
>> Since Michael decided to step down as a leader, the question of
>> reunification with Libav came up once more naturally. Before negotiations
>> start again, I think it's important if we can all individually start
>> thinking about what are our conditions or expectations from a potential
>> reunification, and what we are willing to concede in the process.
>
> Speaking for myself, I think a reunification would be a great relief.
>
>> Highest:
>>
>> - Using the current FFmpeg source code as the code base for the common
>>   project.
>
> Losing four years of work would be absurd.
>
>> - After we come to an agreement, both FFmpeg and Libav must freeze their
>>   respective repository.
>
> Why freeze? Merging them and keeping them in sync seems like a better
> solution, at least for a time.
>
>> - While I have no real opinion on whether a leader is needed, I think it
>>   really helps when you don't have a process that prevent any development
>>   dead lock. The decision machine must not stop.
>>
>>   Since we all agree there is no one currently that can take the position
>>   of a leader in FFmpeg, and there isn't really any on Libav, creating a
>>   working development process looks like a priority to me.
>
> I believe a leader (or small leading committee) is necessary, and I think
> the recent discussions, from requiring pkg-config to the ABI compatibility
> question, illustrates the lack of thereof.
>
> It is not possible to have everybody happy with every decision, but
> everybody will be happier if the decision was made by a process they respect
> rather than being bogged down by whoever has more time to argue.

I may be completely off here; but I got the impression that a lot of
the burden of the project leader was unnecessary and simply stressful.
I think that if we remove some of those "de-facto" responsibilities of
project leadership, more people (perhaps even Michael) might be
willing to become part of such a leadership committee. Here are some
ideas:
1. Merging from the fork should be handled by someone else willing to
take it up.
2. Security issues should be handled by respective maintainers
promptly, failing which someone in charge of security should do this.
The leader should rarely need to step in unless it is something with
project wide implications.

Please modify/add suggestions; the points above are meant to be minimal.