[FFmpeg-devel] policy on "necro-bumping" patches

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Tue Sep 15 04:27:30 CEST 2015

Hi all,

What is ffmpeg's policy on "necro-bumping" old patches? Or more
precisely, what is the policy of requesting a patch to be merged where
all objections raised have been addressed via discussion/updated
patches, and which have not been merged in over 2 weeks due to unknown
reasons?

In particular, there are 2 patchsets I would like to get merged:
1. This I consider an important patch, simply because it solves a trac
ticket labelled as "important": https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2964,
which also contains links to the patches. A lot of discussion went on
around it on the mailing lists, and it is supported strongly by
Nicolas and me. Michael seemed initially hesitant but later became
convinced of (at least one of the set's) utility, and one of the
patches was applied. The only objection I recall was from Hendrik,
which was addressed by Nicolas in a follow-up.

2. This I consider much more trivial, but in this case there are no
remaining objections. However, I still consider it important enough
for a request to re-examine, as I am doing here. The patchset is more
recent, https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-August/177794.html
and https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-September/178700.html.

Regards,
Ganesh