[FFmpeg-devel] policy on "necro-bumping" patches

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Sep 16 17:08:49 CEST 2015

Le nonidi 29 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Ronald S. Bultje a écrit :
> The shell wouldn't know the difference. It has to be an atexit() mechanism
> in the application cleaning up after itself. This isn't specific to the
> shell state changing - it applies more generally imo.

There is no atexit() when a program crashes due to a signal.

If ffmpeg crashes, it is a bug. We fix it, period.

If you frequently deal with programs that crash, possibly due to being a
developer, then you should configure your shell to restore the tty state. I
have done it more than fifteen years ago and did not regret it once since; I
am in fact dumbfounded that this is not the default behaviour, and even more
dumbfounded that smart people make so much fuss instead of applying this
simple solution.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George