[FFmpeg-devel] How to handled gzip'd files?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Apr 2 18:29:57 CEST 2016

Hello,
I was looking at these:
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/grimfandango/
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/force-commander-znm/
and realized that they are perfectly supported, if you first
run them through gunzip.
However there are 2 issues here:
1) They are misdetected as all kinds of nonsense
(http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/grimfandango/byeruba.snm
as AAC for example)
2) How should an ordinary user even come up with that idea?

Do we have a way to transparently decompress?
Or do you have an idea how to (relatively) easily
implement that?
Or at least a way to say "hey, I see this is gzip compressed,
won't try to run further autodetection"?
I think there (barely) enough fixed bits to reliably auto-detect
gzip compressed data without complex code.