[FFmpeg-devel] How to handled gzip'd files?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 3 18:51:37 CEST 2016

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:43:49PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 18:33:44 +0200
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > So probe and read_packet can optionally decompress and we're pretty much
> > > done. I don't see the issue, and this is at best a few lines of code... If
> > > you want to share unzip between probes, I'm sure you can extend the input
> > > packet to have a "gzip-decompressed" buffer also. This stuff isn't hard.
> >
> > I guess I was looking for a more generic solution, and it won't really
> > solve the "gzip'd files are misdetected as random stuff" issue.
> > There are also some other small things like having to disable seeking
> > in the demuxer etc. but you are right this is probably the simplest
> > solution to that specific issue.
>
> I think the problem is rather that libavformat misdetects random stuff
> as something. Maybe it shouldn't.

Yes, ideally. But that usually comes at a cost, like higher chances
of not detecting badly corrupted files, longer probe time/more data
needed etc.
For that reason I would consider some kind of negative detection
("it's really clear this is not a multimedia file") somewhat
interesting. Even if not a priority.