[FFmpeg-devel] snapshots differ from git clone

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Wed Aug 3 07:56:54 EEST 2016

Nicolas George in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel (Wed, 3 Aug 2016
01:22:18 +0200):
>Actually, I was talking about snapshots generated by gitweb. I realize now
>that the snapshot we are talking are generated differently, and they contain
>a full pack of the .git directory. That makes them roughly equivalent to a
>full clone. But bigger.

It really makes them equivalent. Once unpacked, you can do everything on
it with git commands. In my workaround for resolving the stale files
issue I was using git stash, but git pull is possible as well. So for an
initial setup of the build environment it is faster to grab a snapshot,
unpack it and optionally do a git pull.

@Michael Niedermayer: The stale files did not re-appear, so the issue
was solved. Thanks.
--