[FFmpeg-devel] next Outreachy & GSoC ideas braindump [RFC]

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 02:48:36 EEST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 10:01:00PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > you have a great idea for a Outreachy task or a GSoC task ?
> > Or something you always wanted to do but never had the time and
> > it would fit in the time for GSoC/Outreachy ?
> > Or some feature you always wanted which would fit as a task?
> > Also keep in mind Outreachy is more flexible and not limited to
> > coding tasks !
> > reply and dump it here below:
>
> ping ?
>
> also cc-ing ffmpeg-user
>
> or are all feature requests on trac fake and noone has anything they
> think should be implemented ?
>
> we need ideas for Outreachy, the page is EMPTY:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/Outreachy/2016-12

I have some ideas. Most are TODOs / extensions to stuff I wrote that I
never ended up doing myself. Some might be hard.

vp9:
- avx2 loopfilter functions. Qualification task: explain to me without any
guidance why it's an issue for AVX2 (or SSE2) that the loopfilter in vp9.c
works on 8px blocks, and explain how I solved that to work on 16px blocks
to use SSE2 instructions, and likewise explain how you would extend that to
work on 32px blocks.
- coefficient reading optimizations or arithmetic symbol reading
optimizations. I think this is too hard but it would be an amazing speed
optimization in vp9 decoding, since this is where pretty much all runtime
is spent after other optimizations.
- tile threading. This may actually be a nice qual task for the next block
since this is quite easy.

frame/slice-mt:
- implement a mode that allows combining those. Qual task could be to
implement vp9 tile threading or something like that. Final deliverable
would implement this for at least vpN codec and one h.26x codec.

I'll think about others. I'm willing to mentor the above maybe.

Ronald