[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC] Motion Interpolation

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.software
Sun Aug 28 14:30:51 EEST 2016

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.software>
> wrote:
> >
> > what is the way to best contribute with test cases? I have two samples
> that
> > I use for testing, so far the results look very, very promising but there
> > are still a few artefact problems, so these could maybe serve as a good
> > test case. In some cases the artefacts almost certainly look like there
> is
> > a bug in motion vector calculation as a very large area suddenly begins
> > move in which really only a small part is/should be moving.
> >
> > How do I make this available to you or other devs at this stage? Just
> trac
> > tickets or is it too early for that and you would like to work on this
> > differently? After all it is always a grey area, when this can be
> > considered solved, as it is a process of gradual improvements, so maybe
> > it's not well-suited for a ticket.
> >
> > Let me know. Happy to contribute samples and some testing time here and
> > there.
>

> You can provide them either publicly or privately to any of devs
> interested.
> I'm always interested in short samples exhibiting the problem.

OK, here are two short samples which I used to check the suitability of
minterpolate to create super-slow-motion shots from suitable motives:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rklhbi6zxyrvwho/reload-gun.mov?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7kcqd4w8ksgpqv/running.mov?dl=1

for example, I tried this:

ffmpeg -i running.mov -vf
minterpolate=fps=250:mc_mode=obmc:me=epzs:me_mode=bidir:vsbmc=1:search_param=64:mb_size=8
-c:v mpeg4 -q:v 1 -an -y running-250-obmc-bidir-sp64-mb8-vsbmc-epzs-n.mov

Both videos look very good except for a few artefacts:
1) In the reload-gun example parts of the wall (a thin strip underneath the
magazine) move which looks like incorrect motion vectors (ca. 00:00:00:090
in the result)
2) In the running example the hand shows noticeable artefacts, especially
towards the end of the video