[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Revoke the decision of dropping ffserver

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Dec 3 22:05:23 EET 2016

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 03:11:33PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 07:15:28PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Deadline: 2016-12-06 00:00 UTC.
> >
> > I propose, and put to the discussion, that the decision to drop ffserver
> > is revoked, conditioned to the fixing of the technical issues that lead
> > to it.
> >
> > In other words, if the technical problems that require dropping ffserver
> > are resolved at the time it is about to be dropped, then it must not be
> > and the patch is not applied.
> >
> > I support the decision. Pros:
> >
> > ffserver has users, if there are no reason to drop it, doing so is a
> > gratuitous annoyance to them.
> >
> > Apparently James Almer opposes the decision. Cons, if I understand
> > correctly:
> >
> > A decision was made, a project should stick to it stubbornly.
>
> I vote for treating all the applications equally.
> I vote for reverting any code removial decission when the reasons for
> the removial no longer apply

Ive been told on IRC:
<BBB> michaelni: I really don’t think it helps the vote to open discussions on unrelated topics in that very thread
<BBB> michaelni: I’d recommend to open a discussion into these questions in a new email thread

I agree that would make sense, i think someone else should
start this discussion though.

<BBB> michaelni: and then clearly specify your vote in your email, right now you’re saying something about treating applications equally, I think I know what you mean but in a legal sense, your vote would be declared invalid if this was a regular parliamentary election
<BBB> just say “I’d like to keep ffserver” (which is what I think you mean, but it’s very unclear), or “I’d prefer to get rid of ffserver”

I honestly dont think my vote was unclear, and there also is no
"I’d like to keep ffserver" option but let me also in addition vote
for "I’d like to keep ffserver" if that helps anyone count my vote

Thanks

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus