[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] avcodec: Add native DCA decoder based on libdcadec.

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:55:03 CET 2016

On 1/3/2016 3:44 PM, wm4 wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 20:49:10 +0300
> foo86 <foobaz86 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is initial version of libdcadec DCA decoder port I hacked together over
>> the last week. This patch is of RFC/inquiry type and not meant for immediate
>> inclusion.
>>
>> Any comments about the code are appreciated, as well as suggestions concerning
>> how should I proceed with this patch. Should I aim for including it as a
>> separate decoder or a replacement for existing DCA decoder? Or it might be that
>> you prefer to continue improving existing decoder instead and not merge this at
>> all.
>
> Maybe we could have a vote whether or not the existing builtin decoder
> should be replaced with this?

I think calling for a vote would make sense if people start commenting against it.
So far nobody did, but in any case there's time to discuss.

Keep in mind there are not many things, if any, in favor of the current decoder,
especially now that it stopped being faster. There's no maintainer for it working
on ffmpeg side of things, has less features, and the current developer on libav
is essentially taking bits from this one to catch up on features.

But by all means lets not have another prores or asf/wmv demuxer situation.