[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG Ubuntu Compilation Wiki

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Fri Jan 8 03:59:11 CET 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Olalekan Ogunmolu <patlekano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for the amazing work that you all do.

Glad that you find FFmpeg useful.

> I thought to let you know I made your wiki page into a shell script
> available for download via my github page for your users.
>
>      https://github.com/lakehanne/Shells/blob/master/ffmpeg.sh

Thanks for posting the link here.

It may be reasonable to link this in our wiki, but these kinds of
"automation" scripts tend to be very brittle, and I would recommend
keeping the wiki up to date instead of a script. For example, what
does one do if a particular package in the repo is too out of date? I
ran into this myself on Arch; for a couple of weeks the x265 package
was too old for configure/FFmpeg. There is no error handling in the
script you sent, so it will be hard to figure out.

Left to others maintaining the wiki to decide.