[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:43:18 CET 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 23:28:20 +1100
Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 January 2016 at 23:24, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A global thread pool sounds like an extremely messy and unclean
> > solution. The state of a library is not supposed to affect anything
> > else in the same process.
>
> The point of my message was to start a discussion, not to receive
> immediate answer ridiculing the idea and I have to say by someone who

Sorry, the problem you're trying to solve is just too ridiculous.
Threads might be the heaviest resource here, but no matter what you do,
having hundreds of objects active at the same time (bring back geocity
websites from the 90ies?) will cause a memory and CPU resource usage
problem. So what if it fails on Windows XP.

> clearly haven't done much work on highly parallelised application, and
> who fail to even consider the problem.

Maybe you're trying to argue from some sort of theoretical point of
view, but I'm thinking about practical issues, such as managing a
global thread pool. Regardless of "parallisation", for the problem at
this is also an overcomplicated and inefficient solution. Plus I didn't
even completely reject the idea of having some sort of thread pool.