[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Fri Jan 8 15:22:57 CET 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:51:39 +0100
wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 09:42:52 +0000 (UTC)
> Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
> > wm4 <nfxjfg <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> > > Do I understand right that only your tests do this?
> >
> > I may have misunderstood myself but I believe the
> > issue actually only happens on Windows XP;-)
>
> I suppose the larger memory usage would be considered a problem too,
> and also can hit 32 bit boundaries even on non-XP.
>
> Anyway, as another point I would argue:
> - discouraging web devs from creating too many video elements, and

i think mozilla should share one test page with the hundred elements so
that we can see first hand the destruction.

does this also happen with webp ? e.g. if all images are vp8 webp and if
you used libavcodec to decode them?

because 100 images would be a real world test, and it would explain why
this is needed.

i've seen html pages with 100 videos, thats just a forum with a music
thread where people post youtube music videos. set forum to display 100
posts at a time and thats easily 100 video elements on one page,
although of course not playing at the same time.

free file hosting / porn websites also utilize multiple video ads at
the same time. easily using 16 video elements at the same time. i've
seen many websites slow the web browser down to nothing with flash
video (which is why i do not use firefox on many sites).

asking web developers to not show so many video ads is a bit
shortsighted imo.

-compn