[FFmpeg-devel] libav commit f8c34f4b8d62afad3f63cf3d9617d73735bef8c1 (again)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Mar 16 11:46:05 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:06:56AM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> skrev: (16 mars 2016 09:59:00 CET)
> >On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 09:17:55 +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> >> >>>>>>>>>>

> >Why are always 10+ mails quoted, when none of the context is of
> >interest? I'm tired of skipping all this stuff... I must find that mutt
> >patch again. (Mats, this isn't personally directed at you. Though you
> >"chains of thought" do extend "threads of mails" significantly.)
> >
> >> In any case, I don't see anything wrong with creating a patch that
> >> includes those changes, as long as I attribute the author properly.
> >It's
> >> no different from writing it myself, once again.
> >
> >You don't get the concept:
> >The "other upstream" or other branch has commits waiting to be merged:
> > -A-
> >   -B-
> >     -C-
> >       -D-
> >         -E-
> >
> >You are asking to commit "something like C". In the best case, this
> >will become confusing when it comes time to merge C.
> >
> >In the worst case, it will bring conflicts when merging A, B, D and E,
> >making so much more manual work for the merger.
> >
> >The only acceptable thing to bring forward C is to merge exactly that
> >one commit ahead of time, if it's *really* important. But that requires
> >you to do the prework on that: branch ffmpeg master, merge *exactly*
> >that commit by cherry-picking (not rewrite something like it), commit
> >it to your branch, and provide that branch with this one merge-commit,
> >which can then be cherry-picked back into ffmpeg master.
> >
> >But why??????? What's so urgent? If you need that commit in order to
> >base your experiments on it, just go ahead and do the branching and
> >cherry-pick merging in your local clone, and work with that (and wait
> >to submit it here until that commit you're waiting for is in master,
> >and the dust around your own changes has settled - v23). Git makes
> >this stuff so easy for you.
> >
> >Moritz
>
> Using Git and "easy" in the same sentence is something I refrain from. But thanks for the in-depth information, Moritz.

its easy
git cherry-pick -x f8c34f4b8d62afad3f63cf3d9617d73735bef8c1^
git cherry-pick -x f8c34f4b8d62afad3f63cf3d9617d73735bef8c1

in this case work if your local git checkout knows of the commits
and you need f8c34f4b8d62afad3f63cf3d9617d73735bef8c1^ as it does some
whitespace messing the other alone would conflict a bit otherwise

either way cherry picked and pushed

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates