[FFmpeg-devel] GP License question

Rostislav Pehlivanov atomnuker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:44:15 CET 2016

On 22 March 2016 at 12:12, Aaron Boxer <boxerab at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a jpeg 2000 codec licensed under Affero GPL.
> If I were to integrate this into FFMpeg, would I then have to
> re-release FFMpeg under Affero GPL ?

FFmpeg already has a native JPEG2000 encoder and decoder. It's slow, but
then again you can describe the entire jp2k format as "slow" for video
since very high bitrates and slow entropy encodings don't mix well. If you
think that you can do better than it, sure go ahead, but the current
encoder and decoders are here to stay unless you license your
implementation under the LGPL and submit a good enough patch to replace
them.