[FFmpeg-devel] [GSOC 2016] Ideas on FFV1 P frame project

Станислав Долганов stanislav.dolganov at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:44:11 CEST 2016

Hello,
I'm currently working on GSOC 2016 project for upgrading FFV1 codec with an
ability to use P frames. Maybe some of you have any suggestions or
recommendations.

While working on qualification task I implemented a simple modification of
codec to encode P frames without motion compensation, so now the base for
trying several MC approaches is ready.

My plan of upgrade is the next:
1) I want to try current realization of OBMC algorithm from snow*.c
2) Then try to take some ideas from HEVC
  2.1) In paper "Overview of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Standard" (can be found here
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=6316136) motion
compensation process is described. It includes quarter pixel interpolation
technic, intra- and inter-frame predicting strategies, quadtree of frame
blocks, several types of predicted units, so there is a lot of stuff to try
next.
  2.2) In "PARALLEL AMVP CANDIDATE LIST CONSTRUCTION FOR HEVC" (
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Liang_Zhao57/publication/261497818_Parallel_AMVP_candidate_list_construction_for_HEVC/links/54117bd10cf264cee28b3964.pdf)
can be found algorithm to
  make MC process faster.
  2.3) Authors of "HEVC Lossless Coding and Improvements" (
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.352.3447&rep=rep1&type=pdf)
proposed Sample-Based Angular Intra Prediction algrorithm special for
lossless compression, which can be tried too.
3) Try to use filtration just like bilateral in "SEPARABLE BILATERAL
FILTERING FOR FAST VIDEO PREPROCESSING" (
http://elynxsdk.free.fr/ext-docs/Bilateral/ICME2005_TPLV.pdf) as
pre-processing part, it can reduce compression size due to encoding noise
values only from a current frame.
4) Maybe try some non common ideas like not use motion vectors as in
"Lossless Video Sequence Compression Using Adaptive Prediction" (
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/K_Sayood/publication/51386836_Lossless_Video_Sequence_Compression_Using_Adaptive_Prediction/links/5489cf110cf225bf669c7487.pdf
).

I'll be appreciate for any ideas or comments how to improve proposed
project.

Regards,
Stanislav D.