[FFmpeg-devel] TR-03 implementation

Ali KIZIL alikizil at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 06:17:01 EET 2016

> > sure, ffmpeg has support for many pixel formats and adding more
> > pixfmts is not a problem.
> >
> > my best answer would be to look at commits which add other pixel
> > formats and just follow how they were added to libswscale. make some
> > fate tests, and it should be done.
> >
> > hopefully you have test samples made of these pixfmts you want to add.
> > that makes testing for us easier, as we can test on multiple cpu
> > arch's to make sure the code is safe and works.
> >

> Sorry Compn, nothing personal here, but you are responding exactly in the
> way I thought you would and why I even wrote that certain people would
> encourage in spite of the technical issues.
>
> You don't understand the complexity of this problem either. The pixel
> formats are the least of his problems. Samples don't exist, it's not a file
> based format, it's a network stream etc. Please listen to what Ros and I
> said, we worked on this painfully for months.
>
> Regards,
> Kieran

Hi all,

I very rarely send patches to FFmpeg. Maybe I am the last one in the row to
say something about the topic, but I belive it is not good idea to break
motivation of contributors even the idea is good or bad or wrong.

If someone wants to try, he can give a try, release a patch, it can be
discussed in a discussion level. I really find saying such comments like "
We don't need more broadcasting shit in ffmpeg." and "....and it is why
FFmpeg is full of broken things and has a bad name in the professional
world." annoying. Frankly speaking, as my own, I start to think maybe some
people try to give intentional directions to FFmpeg.

Belive me; Cisco, Ateme, Siemens etc. use FFmpeg in their products and
solutions. For me, FFmpeg is great as its contributors.

A part from the topic; there are several useful patches released but not
applied yet, such as:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/attachment/ticket/4155/underflow_overflow_fix.diff
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-June/194856.html
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-November/202587.html

I wanted to mention this under contributor's motivation sunbjec, maybe
https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org can be used to upload missed patches.

Kind Regards,
Ali KIZIL