[FFmpeg-devel] [OPW] OPW Project Proposal

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Oct 8 05:36:07 EEST 2016

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:49:42PM +0530, Pallavi Kumari wrote:
> >> iam interrested, i intend to mentor only one applicant though
> >> iam also the mentor for "Improve Selftest coverage"
> >> (hint .... if someone wants to take mentoring that over for example ...)
>
> Thank you for your interest :)
> Is there any applicant for ''Improve Selftest coverage'' ?

There were several applicants who contacted me and i told all to
add themselfs to
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/Outreachy/2016-12-Qualis
(same as previous years)
the page is still empty so iam not sure we have an applicant

> >> Do you have a suggeted entry for
> >> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/Outreachy/2016-12
> >> for this project ?
>
> This idea was proposed by me. I wanted to check first if it's relevant to
> community. The community has show immense interest so, I was looking for
> mentor(s). I would be happy to add this idea on the link mentioned above
> (if I have permission) or some one with the edit permission can do it.

its probably better if i add it but you can post a suggested wiki
marked up text here and ill add it to the page if it looks ok
... my lazyness is limitless

also with a project like this its important to carefuly test the
fingerprinting to ensure degraded songs can be quickly and reliably
be matched up in a large set of reference fingerprints/songs

and that changes done during the project do improve this.
It should not be implemented and after that tested that would be bad
the earlier there is something that can be tested an compared against
competing solutions the better and easier it would be to tune things
and easily try modifications ...

> >> also, important, we need a qualification task which should be a small
> >> part of the whole that shows that the applicant is qualified/able to
> >> do the project, any suggestion ?
>
> A small task could be writing a module that reads a sound file extract
> sound information and frame rate also find point of interests (peak

frame rate ? you mean sample rate ?

> intensity points) and plot it on graph. Also add a unit test for this
> module.
>
> what do you think?

that "module" can be a audio->video libavfilter
am i correct that with peaks you mean peaks in a frequency/time 2d
array ?

thx

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus