[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.2

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Oct 17 05:24:40 EEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 06:01:54PM -0400, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
> On 2016-09-27 09:30, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Its long since FFmpeg 3.1, so its time to make 3.2
> > ill branch release/3.2 off master and make 3.2 in maybe about a week or
> > 2 unless something delays it
>
> What happened to 3.2?

the AVFrame.pts field has been changed in master redefining ABI/API
without soname bump.

this complicates the 3.2 release.
ATM we have 3.0 and 3.1 releases with the same sonames as git master
but they are not fully compatible due to the AVFrame.pts change
(on top of that i was a bit more busy with random stuff than i
 expected)

the obvious solution is to bump major version of all libs. (this is
not wanted i belive though)

the alternative is to remove the (useless) use of AVFrame.pts from
3.0 and 3.1 and make new releases
then document in release notes that the 3.2 release cannot co-exist
with 3.0 or 3.1 prior to the last release and assume no other
application use AVFrame.pts

Ill look at making the 3.0 and 3.1 release without AVFrame.pts use in
ffmpeg ASAP. These wont do any harm either way

Maybe someone can write the release notes ?

You can kill me, but you cannot change the truth.