[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.2

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Oct 17 16:47:06 EEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:01:56PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 04:24:40 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> > > What happened to 3.2?
> >
> > the AVFrame.pts field has been changed in master redefining ABI/API
> > without soname bump.
> >
> > this complicates the 3.2 release.
> > ATM we have 3.0 and 3.1 releases with the same sonames as git master
> > but they are not fully compatible due to the AVFrame.pts change
> > (on top of that i was a bit more busy with random stuff than i
> >  expected)
> >
> > the obvious solution is to bump major version of all libs. (this is
> > not wanted i belive though)
> >
> > the alternative is to remove the (useless) use of AVFrame.pts from
> > 3.0 and 3.1 and make new releases
> > then document in release notes that the 3.2 release cannot co-exist
> > with 3.0 or 3.1 prior to the last release and assume no other
> > application use AVFrame.pts
> >
> > Ill look at making the 3.0 and 3.1 release without AVFrame.pts use in
> > ffmpeg ASAP. These wont do any harm either way
> >
> > Maybe someone can write the release notes ?
> >
> > [...]
> >

> The change was backwards-compatible, as nobody should have used the pts
> field for decoding before.

The field was a normal public and documented field
Documented in our public doxygen for 3.0 and 3.1
http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.0/structAVFrame.html#a0452833e3ab6ddd7acbf82817a7818a4
http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.1/structAVFrame.html#a0452833e3ab6ddd7acbf82817a7818a4

The AVFrame.pts doxy links to examples, which use the field:
http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.0/demuxing_decoding_8c-example.html#a41
http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/3.1/demuxing_decoding_8c-example.html#a41

> The fact that ffmpeg.c couldn't use its own
> API correctly is not of matter.

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras