[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH to configure for openssl-1.1.0

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Sep 3 12:10:13 EEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 08:52:34PM -0600, Joseph Parmelee wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I found that ffmpeg configure crashes with the new openssl-1.1.0.

what do you mean by crash ?

> This is
> due to changes made in openssl-1.1.0 to both the header file ssl.h and to
> the libraries libssl.so and libcrypto.so.  The symbol SSL_library_init no
> longer exists in either library;

openssl changed its ABI ?

> it has been replaced by OPENSSL_init_ssl in
> libssl.so and is defined as a macro in ssl.h.  Neither symbol exists in
> libcrypto.so.
>

> The attached patch fixes the problem for me (building from source) but
> further changes may be necessary for others as this patch only fixes the
> first part of the OR.  The ffmpeg build and install appear to work correctly
> with this patch applied to the source on a 686 linux system.

this patch makes the changed test fail as OPENSSL_init_ssl
does not exist in previous openssl
conftemp...c: In function 'check_OPENSSL_init_ssl':
conftemp...c:2:51: error: 'OPENSSL_init_ssl' undeclared (first use in this function)
conftemp...c:2:51: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

or said differently this effectively disables pkg-config with openssl
prior to 1.1.0

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras